CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

May 12, 2008

Mommy-time

So... I'm in the grocery store on Sunday (stopping in to get milk on the way home from church) and I count about 20 people in various lines holding what appear to be the very last chrysanthamums in the florist section. And this sums up what I do NOT like about Mother's Day. I don't like it when it feels forced upon us, another obligation grudgingly met, Hallmark card and token flower.

Why? Because I'm just truly beginning to grasp the sacred trust that is motherhood. God entrusted ME with the lives of three of His most precious children. There is nothing more important that I can be doing. There is no obligation more important - let me be late to every appointment from now until I die rather than let my children feel that they are anything but my highest priority (now that's a tough statement for a border collie!).

I want Mother's Day to mean something - not for me, my children are already gift enough - but so that my children get a glimmer of the importance, the essential nature and sacrifice that is motherhood. If they see us put a high value on it - stop our regular lives to celebrate the gift of motherhood - the day will come when they too will put a high value on the worth of a mother in a world that seems to have forgotten how important a job it really is.

My favorite part of Mother's Day this year? Every time the kids wished me a Happy Mother's Day, I answered, "And who are the three amazing kids that made me into a mother?"

Beth Moore writes an incredible piece on motherhood in her blog today. For her thoughts, particularly about siblings, click here.

Happy Mother's Day!

4 comments:

3 Peanuts said...

I am with you. For me...it is all about time with the kiddos...well that and they don't let me do any work that day!

Katie said...

I also LOVED Beth's post from yesterday, especially the part about siblings - I was even reading part of it aloud to Shaun! I'm not surprised that we both liked it equally as well. Love to you!

Viewer said...

This year had to be one of my most favorite Mother's Days. It was spent going to church and then hanging out all the rest of the day and evening with my two beautiful daughters, now 22 and 25years old! That they would want to hang out with me and watch movies and just be silly is the greatest gift I could ever receive.
I agree with you Pip. Your kids will always be there for you!
Happy Mother's Day!
Love, Jody

Melissa said...

You have 3 beautiful children,who are learning/being taught by an amazing mother!

We are all so blessed to have you!
Love you!