CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

September 21, 2008

Sleeping Habits

Mermaid Princess has two identical duck lovies that she sleeps with. They are getting very velveteen rabbit-ed; the fleece is gone from their hats and their beaks are starting to fray. She has the oddest habit of stroking them and clicking her tongue to fall asleep. Woe be unto us the day they are lost or frayed beyond repair. She, of the three, is the most attached to her Duck-Ducks; she will run for them at the least sign of trouble and holds them near during the scary part of whatever books she's reading.



Flash has three identical frogs. Well, sort of. They are meant to be identical, but two have been chewed and shredded so that major surgery has been required to keep them in a semblance of the genus/species. The other, for some reason unfathomable to his father and me, has emerged completely unscathed. To fall asleep, Flash chews on the webbed foot of a frog and hums to himself. Loudly. So loudly that MP used to wear a noise-blocking headset to fall asleep when they shared a room. He really has no need of the frogs during the day and less and less at night these days. Hopefully, the humming stops too. I would hate to have to draw a serious girlfriend aside and give her fair warning.

"Daddy Nouille" (short for Grenouille)

MP in her Flash Headset Protection

Flash has another odd habit. He has the coolest handmade race car bed I have ever seen, given to us by friends. He has another sweet air mattress/sleeping bag sports bed on the floor. And where is he sleeping tonight? On the floor in the corner of this room. I just pray it's not some sort of training for eventually becoming a S.E.A.L. or Ranger.

JackJack has two identical bear lovies. I noticed a few months ago that the satin on on the paws was falling off, and attributed it to poor quality. Foolish mother! The other night, I went in to check on the kids, and found my youngest half awake, half asleep, and stroking only the satiny paw of his bear. No wonder they've been slowly disintegrating.

I'm blessed - not a pacifer-craver in the bunch. And we somehow avoided thumb-sucking too. Still, I do wonder if and when these habits will be outgrown... I know I had a bear that I took with me to college (the first year, anyway).

What was your childhood soother and when did you give it up?

1 comments:

Amy said...

My childhood lovey was a Curious George stuffed animal. Oh how I loved him! When I was seven years old, in a moment of bravery, kindness, and self sacrifice, I gave him up to the toy drive at my school. I remember going to check on him in the collection box several times before they took him away. Hopefully he went to a loving home! I cried myself to sleep for several nights after and became mad at my parents for ever having let me give him away.