CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

February 14, 2009

What movie are you?

Have I mentioned before that Mermaid Princess is not much for movies? I should re-phrase that by saying she's not much for watching movies if she has to be in the same room as the TV. If she can watch from down the hall and around the corner, she's all for it. Today, she ran out of the room as I read about Joe Hardy* nearly escaping from an alligator.

Needless to say, we have yet to waste $8 taking this child to a movie theater, knowing that we would spend the hour in the lobby, trying to answer the question, "What do you think is happening now?" (In all fairness, my sister and I did precisely this to my own parents when they took us to see The Jungle Book. Given the recent news about giant prehistoric snakes, I think I was right to be alarmed about Ka.)

We, therefore, are huge fans of N*tflix. We got that Wall-E video as soon as we could. And promptly watched it at least - at LEAST - 22 times. It is interesting the questions that pop up about a movie after the 22nd viewing.

"If Wall-E got his power from the sun, how did EVE get hers?"
"If the people on the Axiom didn't know each others names, where did the babies come from?"
"How did they still have food on the Axiom after 700 years?"

My own shocking surprise came around viewing number 6, as Eve blew up the cargo ship ("But why did she want to blow up the ship?" "She didn't, honey, she was just frustrated." "But did the ship do anything to make her mad?" "No, honey, it was just in the wrong place at the wrong time." "Mommy, I think EVE needs to work on her attitude.") I was trying to explain that EVE was generally a sweet robot, but one who really had a job to do and when she couldn't figure out how to get her job done, it really made her .... hey wait, oh, hey, she's a lot like, oh dear, she's a lot like, well, like me.



Which would make Big E. our very own Wall-E. And the more I thought about it, the more chagrined I got. I was baffled in the movie at Wall-E's attraction to a wildly impulsive, shoot first-ask later, easily frustrated and quite imperious (but definitely lovely) little robot.

Ah, heh, ahem, yup.

See, I would characterize my husband as endlessly curious, interested in everyone and everything, loving to the unlovely, with perseverance beyond measure, a fierce commitment to his principles, and 100% dedicated to his girl.

Just like Wall-E.

I do not come off better in this comparison except for the fact that I, evidently, can fly.

Do you have a movie that best captures your marriage?

Happy Valentine's Day!

* From the inestimable The Hardy Boys and the Jungle Pyramid. By inestimable, I really do mean I wouldn't want to admit the level of esteem I have for The Hardy Boys books. Let's just say that when Jack Jack found the shelf of Hardy Boys books at the library, I hustled him over to the Mo Willems section before he could announce the location to his brother.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Hey Pip...found my way here through Cindy's blog. I love this post - and I think Eve is quite lovely, especially in her singular devotion to her most important job. Not a bad comparison at all :)

LiveDog said...

You are great flyer, and lovey (so very very lovely.)

But most of all life was meaningless and boring without you.

I'd do it all again, and again, and again. You are worth it.

-The Big(wall)-E

(and though I think you are being totally unfair to yourself in the comparison, I'm not going to mess with your story. Don't want the big gun aimed at me again.)