CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

July 13, 2008

Cary and Clay: Update 1

Cary and Clay had another ultrasound this week. Not much news to report - the baby has grown bigger and the tumor has too -- in proportion. The "wait and see" continues.

The geneticist proposed that they head to Children's Hospital in D.C. for a fetal MRI to gather more information, both on the tumor they know is there and to see if any other tumors may be forming on other organs that the ultrasound just can't see. The MRI is scheduled for July 25th.

In the meantime, this incredible family has decided that given the choice to dwell on the disease or the baby, they are going to choose to focus on the baby. That means thinking about names, planning the nursery, and smiling instead of flinching when strangers ask about the pregnancy.

I stand amazed. I was with Cary tonight and saw her graciously accept queries and compliments about the little boy she's carrying without the least shadow of fear or despair traveling across her face. This is faith in action - to trust that the Lord knows what He's up to when none of it makes sense from our perspective.

For those who are wondering how to pray, here are the potential outcomes for this tumor:
1. It may be the kind of tumor that will simply disappear sometime in the baby's first two years of life.

2. It may be a tumor that will continue to grow and at some point interfere with the functioning of the heart, at which point surgery will be needed.

3. It may be the first in a series of tumors from Tuberous Sclerosis.

4. The whole thing could go away in a modern day miracle... or maybe just a good old-fashioned one.

Pray for peace and strength as they walk through each day with this dark cloud trying to take over their thoughts. Pray for increasing delight in the pregnancy and in the life growing there. And pray for healing, as only God can do.

Today I have learned that it IS possible, no matter how trying the circumstances, how great the obstacles, how dire the straits, to refuse to wallow in the ugliness. If I can keep my focus on my blessings, no matter how much those around me are yelling about my difficulties, I can be content. I have seen it done; I pray I strive to do no less.

0 comments: